Is been a while since I posted, and a lot of people have been giving me grief about it, so here goes some updates. After I got the front of the car blasted, I was ready to weld in the right front frame rail, but then started to discovered some more rust on the right side. There were a bunch of pin holes in the front floor pan, and as I explored, it got much worse back over at the rocker panel. The rocker panel is a structural beam that runs from the back frame rails and spring mount, up to the front torque box and frame rail. The more I looked, the more rot I found. I decided the only way to do all of the work needed to fix the rust was to get to the bottom of the car easily.
Here are some pics of the home-made rotisserie we made. I looked around to buy one ($2500) and I looked at different sets of plans on the internet. I settled on the simplest and cheapest option I could come up with. A few pieces of tubing from the metal store, some casters from Harbor Freight, some trailer U Bolts from Agri Supply, and some 2" pipe nipples and flanges made it work. We bolted it to the rear bumper mounts in the back and the engine mounts up front. Works like a champ, especially once we dropped the rear axle and got the weight right. I used double wheeled casters, so now I can roll it in and out of the shop with ease.
No comments:
Post a Comment