Sunday, July 24, 2011

RH Rocker Panel - Removal

Here are some pictures of the rocker panel removal.  The first one is the bottom of the outer panel.  It's still in good shape from what I can see, so I wanted to remove it carefully to reuse, but there was about 100 spot welds to remove it.  The air chisel does a good job with that.

 The next step was to open up the rear quater panel and cut it loose back at the rear wheel.
 Then we had to cut loose all of the welds on the seat riser.  There is a top and bottom to this piece.
 We ended up cutting the inner panel in pieces to get it out easier.  This allowed up to cut and chisel out the seat supports.
 All done.  There is not much car left on this side.  Some people have asked me why not get a new body, but is better to have old parts with some repairs or replacement than a new chassis.
 Here is a picture of the seat mounts.  Again, I am glad I am doing all of this work for the long term.  All of this rust would eat through the bottom again.
 The worst rust was at the rear of the rocker panel.  This is the rear spring mount, so it's pretty important to get this fixed up.
Now that I'm practiced on the RH, we have to do all of the same work to the left side !!!  When we blasted it, we found the same issues, the front frame rail is rotting through and then the rocker panel is rusted at the back.  It should go much quicker since we know the procedure.  Before that happens, we are going to repair all of the right side so that the car stays aligned and has support.

No comments: